Selftanning has been around for a really long time, but I feel like more and more people are getting more into it.. or is that just me? I know I am at least! I have tried a couple of selftanners during the past few years, but I never really fell for it because I couldn’t find one that gave me the result I wanted without the hustle that comes with it.. till now! I’m thrilled that I finally came across a selftanner that just does it for me. Before using this I went to the tanning salon every 5-6 weeks which I know is really bad for your skin and causes premature ageing, but I just really don’t feel confident in my pale natural skintone. Right now I am able to easily get the shade I want without damaging my skin too much. So let’s get to it and I’ll tell you all about my selftanner and how I apply it!
The one I’ve been using is the St. Moriz professional selftanning mousse. It exists in a medium brown and a deep brown version. I have both of them. You can get it at Kruidvat for €7,99. I have seen pictures of bottles with English instructions on them so make sure to check if it is available wherever you live!
- Immediate tint that washes off. (makes it easy to see where you’ve applied it already and where you need more (blending))
- No traces (when applied correctly and doesn’t get wet)
- Dermatologically tested
- Contains Olive milk and Vit E
The instructions on the bottle:
- Apply mousse on clean and dry skin.
- Preferably use a tanning mitt.
- Shake bottle before use.
- Colour developes in 4 – 6 hours.
- When desired tan is accomplished, rinse off with warm water.
It comes with a pomp. Easy to clean which is important to keep everything hygienic.
This is the tanning mitt I use from St. Moriz as well. I think it was €5,99. You don’t have to use it but I highly suggest you do because it makes blending out the mousse so much easier! Obviously it gets really dirty (it used to be as light as the little corners on the right pic), but after a few uses it was as dark as the back of the mitt. Then I started washing it out after every use and it looks… decent now.
So now let’s get to how I apply it (once a week):
Currently I use the medium brown shade since it’s winter and I also went a lot blonder so the deep brown shade is way too dark right now. It just looks too fake on me because it doesn’t fit the whole picture you know? However I will use it again during summer.
- I take a shower to make sure my skin is clean.
- I don’t really exfoliate my skin, but I ‘scrub’ my skin with my towel while drying it. Not too hard because it shouldn’t hurt! But it gets rid of dead skin cells as well.
- I apply the product with the mitt, let it dry (as in 2 minutes) and put on clothes.
- For my feet: I just blend the mousse I applied on my lower leg down on the top and sides of my feet. Don’t use too much! You want it to blend into your natural shade on the bottom of your feet.
- For my face: I apply a small amount on the face with a cotton pad, because the mitt is too big and with my fingers I can’t get an even application.
- For my hands: First I wash off the tanner that got on my hands while applying it everywhere else to avoid stains and then I take 1 pump and rub it in my hands. Make sure to put most of it on the back of your hands and blend it nicely on the sides and in between your fingers!
- DONE! Now I leave it on over the night and wash it all off in the shower the next morning and I’m left with a nice tan.
I don’t have before pictures, because I applied it at night and it was dark already (I will try to make before pics and ones of the deep brown colour later), but here are some pictures to show what it looks like in the morning before and after taking a shower.
On the left picture you can tell I have a spot right below my wrist. This is caused by a splash of water that moved the tint around. However after taking a shower you can’t see that anymore. Depending on how long the product has been on your skin and has dried it will show in your actual tan sometimes too. So let it dry long enough! But obviously try to avoid water anyways.
I think it’s obvious that I love this product! It’s easy to use, doesn’t look orange (it’s a nice yellow toned brown colour) and is affordable! What more do you need? Just try it out for yourself and you won’t be disappointed!